Thursday, September 8, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons

Everyone’s life contains some element of bitterness to it.  There is something that happened to them that they wish hadn’t.  Or something terrible that happened to a loved one.  Or something they did that they regret.  Everyone at some point in his or her lives is handed a lemon.  Or two.  Or a bushel.  Or a whole stinking tree.

I believe that life's bitter, hard times, are inevitable and universal.  No one is exempt from this.  It is something that we all will eventually experience.  And in theses moments when we’re being pelted with lemons by the mean old arm of life, we always have a choice.  You can do nothing to stop the external forces of life.  This is true.  But as the saying goes, if you really wanted to, you could borrow a cup of sugar from your nice neighbor, and make yourself some lemonade.

Or you could gather up the lemons and put them in a pretty glass bowl and use them as a kitchen decoration.
Or you could use the juice from them to clean your dirty cutting board.
Or you could squeeze them over your apple slices to prevent them from browning, because nobody likes brown apples.
Or you could pick them up, give them your best heave and tell life, “While I appreciate the sentiment, I’ve had quite enough of this.  Now kindly takes these lemons, and shove it.  Please and thank you.”

The point is, that the world will spin madly on however you choose to respond to your lemons.  So what if we looked at them as useful, potentially beautiful things, if we could just find the right angle, the right attitude, to let them be. 

This is easier said than done, believe me, I know.  But this is the story of giving it an honest try.

Kelsey

5 comments:

  1. "...the world will spin madly on however you choose to respond to your lemons. So what if we looked at them as useful, potentially beautiful things, if we could just find the right angle, the right attitude, to let them be."

    I love this, Kelsey! What a great reminder that we have the power to view this crazy chaotic world through whatever lens we choose - we can choose to be a victim of our circumstances, or we can rise above and find joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this kels. You write beautifully. I feel like I can hear you saying this..."Or a whole stinking tree." and “While I appreciate the sentiment, I’ve had quite enough of this. Now kindly takes these lemons, and shove it. Please and thank you.”

    I know its hard to see the silver lining in things, but i think you'll find it.

    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey,
    I know we haven't really spoken in quite a while but I saw your blog link on facebook and I just have to say... you are an excellent writer. One of the most important qualities of great writing is creating a sense of the universal experience, and you have definitely succeeded in doing that. I just returned to school after a second year off and there have been many times that I was blind to the "Or you could pick them up, give them your best heave and tell life, 'While I appreciate the sentiment, I’ve had quite enough of this. Now kindly takes these lemons, and shove it. Please and thank you.'" perspective you so aptly mentioned. I am sorry that you are experiencing difficult circumstances and I truly wish you the best and hope things turn around for you quickly. Thank you for writing this piece and I definitely look forward to reading more of your posts!
    ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had this conversation with my sister today, about how unfair this all seems to Kelsey. But, the whole Aplastic Anemia thing has made Kelsey a new and improved player in this thing we call life. Kelsey has a much stronger spiritual life than she ever had and she is more patient and less tolerant, if that is really possible. Kelsey will give more back to the world now than she possible could have four years ago. Although what you go through breaks my heart and I would trade places with you in a heart beat, it is your destiny and your lemons. I will be with every step of the way though, and help you do with those stinkin' lemons you chose to. I love you more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelsey! My Dad sent me the link to your new blog. We are cousins... I am following..and I look forward to reading up on your story... I love the concept--making the best of less than perfect situations... or plain out bad situations... I relate to the idea...although, admit that I have not been tested as you have... we all have our own histories, and thank goodness for people like you who want to share it....I think you will inspire and help a lot of people.
    xoxo Paula(Brown)

    ReplyDelete